Lehigh Valley Railroad surviving routes 2003
Thats the small
Click here for the HUGE map!
Lines in Black - track gone, pulled up.
Lines in Green - track in place, and in use by a railroad.
Lines in Red - Track in place, but not in use.
(applies to LV lines only..)
Current usage of existing LV lines. from West to East.
1. Tifft st, yard, Buffalo - in use by Norfolk Southern.
2. Batavia NY - about 1 mile of LV main, in use by Depew Lancaster & Western (GVT)
3. P&L junction - less than one mile of LV main,
used for railcar storage by Rochester & Southern.
however, in 2003 a new fertilizer facility is being built on the LV row, so these tracks
might be pulled up soon.
4. Henrietta NY - about 3 miles of LV Rochester branch. in use by Livonia, Avon & Lakeville.
5. Victor to Manchester NY - about 12 miles of LV main, in use by Ontario Central (LA&L)
6. Geneva to Kendaia NY (Seneca Army Depot)- about
13 miles of LV main,
used for railcar storage by Finger Lakes Railway.
7. Auburn NY - about 1 mile of LV Auburn division, in use by Finger Lakes Railway.
8. Cortland NY - a few miles in use by NYS&W.
9. Owego to Richford NY - about 20 miles of LV Auburn
division. in use by Owego & Hartford (freight)
and Tioga Scenic railroad (passenger excursions)
10. Ludlowville NY to Laurel Run PA - about (?) miles.
This is the longest continous stretch of LV track still
a. Norfolk Southern still runs coal trains from Sayre to the Powerplant
north of Ithaca. NS also runs trains from Sayre south to Mehoopany PA.
b. Towanda to Monroeton PA - in use by "Towanda Monroeton Shippers Lifeline"
c. Reading & Northern RR runs on the LV from Mehoopany to Laurel Run,
on the "Mountain cutoff"
d. Luzerne & Susquehanna railroad runs from Pittston to Wilkes Barre, on the "old main"
11. Frasher PA to Lehighton PA, including Hazelton
a. Frasher to Lehighton. operated by Reading & Northern railroad.
R&N also runs on the Hazelton branch from Penn Haven to Delano
b. Penn Haven to Lehighton. operated by Norfolk Southern.
c. Oneida to Oneida Jct. operated by Norfolk Southern.
12. Allentown PA to Easton PA.
a. RJ Corman operates from Allentown to Fullerton.
b. Allentown to Easton, operated by Norfolk Southern.
13. Greens Bridge NJ to Oak Island. the last
stretch of LV main.
a. Greens Bridge NJ to Pt.Reading Jct(Bound Brook,NJ), operated by Norfolk Southern.
b. Pt.Reading Jct to Oak Island - operated by NS/CSX/CR shared assets.
(yes, that is really Conrail! CR still exists in 2003)
c. Oak Island to Bayonne, operated by conrail.
14. Raritain Jct to Nixon NJ. is still used by
thats it! (so far..)
if you spot any mistakes on the map or the list of railroads, please let me know!
Scot Lawrence. April 2003
once again, thank you to all the great guys out in
"internet railroad forum land" who helped with this information!
especially Bill Brault and Bill Branches, who provided virtually all of the PA information.
to Surviving LVRR Locomotives