|The Rose Cottage was originally built
circa 1870 in Cambria, a bustling little town at the close of the
nineteenth century near Hillsdale, Michigan.
Over the years, the building was used as a Grange Hall, as a place to raise and market chickens, a residence and, more recently, as a general store and hardware. Even today, local folks refer to the building tongue-in-cheek as the old "Cambria K-Mart." Unfortunately, over the years the property was allowed to dramatically deteriorate and eventually, it became a local "eye sore."
|In 1997, the property was purchased by a retired building contractor and remodeler, and in the Spring of 1999 an extensive reconstruction/makeover was begun to turn the building into 3 or 4 apartments. The building was "gutted" but an effort was made to salvage the basic structure. The new owner used the help and muscle of a local teenager, Curtis Crawford primarily, and other local labor to utterly transform the structure into its present condition. Some friends now affectionately refer to the building as a "pig in a dress."|
|The building was completed in late 2003, and the builder/designer Orval Hayes moved onto the property with his decorator wife, Sandra and daughter, Debbie. In 2004, Sandra and Orval made plans to open Rose Cottage Bed & Breakfast.|
|The Rose Cottage Interior|
|Rose Cottage Bed
2517 Lilac Road
Hillsdale, Michigan 49242
email: Rose Cottage Information Sandra, Orval and Debbie Hayes, Innkeepers
|Site Design and Photography By:|