The World (Wide Web) According To Matthew Daly
Welcome to my little corner of the world. This site is positively Luddite compared with
some, but I'm not generally all that excited about dancing baloney. Just trying to make
the world a little bit less aggrivating for those who haven't gotten rid of their 9600
What I can offer you, in a nutshell
What you need to know about me
- I'm the FAQ-keeper for the
Usenet newsgroup rec.puzzles. Hopefully, it at least
partially stems the tide of people posting to say "There are three words in the
English language that end in -gry," because we hate to see that.
- I'm a lover of recreational math, puzzles, and games. Put some Raymond Smullyan or
Martin Gardner in front of me, and I'm a happy camper. And I don't want to think about the
number of games that I own that I've never played.
- I was thrilled to take part in the qualifying exam for the U.S. delegation to the 1999
World Puzzle Championships in Budapest, Hungary. I finished in the middle of the pack, but
I gave in to an unmerited delusion of grandeur and decided to post my
answers to the questions (most of which I didn't find until after the test). If
you'd like to take the test yourself, go to Team
- I was also thrilled to take part in the qualifying exam for the U.S. delegation to the
2000 World Puzzle Championships in Stamford, USA. I finished a little closer to the head
of the pack, but it's still an unmerited delusion of grandeur for me to post my answers. If you'd like to take the test yourself, go here.
- I'm a fairly fluent C++ programmer, and a mostly non-fluent VB programmer. In my copious
free time, I write up simple puzzles from various puzzle magazines that strike my fancy.
I've uploaded some of them here.
- I've been doing a good deal of scuba diving in the past while. If you've ever thought
about doing it, I would heartily recommend it. I'm registered with SSI, which has been great for me.
What you didn't need to know about me
- Last time I checked the Meyers-Brigg Personality test, I was an INTJ.
- I met Hubert Humphery when I was eight years old. I almost got to play a game of
checkers against him.
- I have a bifid uvula. Always good for scaring new doctors. "Okay, Matthew, say
'aaah'." "Aaah." "Aigh!"
Many thanks to xlnt for knowing so
much about web page design.
Feel free to mail me at email@example.com
with anything that strikes your fancy. Well, except for spam. But you probably already
guessed that, right?