The History of Bundy, Wisconsin

Click here for larger photo.

"Bundy" or "Jeffris" , as it used to be called, is located in the town of Harrison near Pine Lake on Highway 17. It was built on a spur of the Chicago & North Western railroad and was named by D. K. Jeffris, in honor of his brother, James K. Jeffris, according to some sources. D.K Jeffris built a sawmill there in the winter of 1891 and operated the lumber mill and post office on Pine Lake. The mill burned down Feb. 14, 1895, the owner suffering a loss of about $20,000. Jeffris rebuilt the mill, however, it suffered a second mill burning on October 28, 1897. The mill was rebuilt again in Sept 1898. After Mr. Jeffris finished his operations there, he sold out to James Worden, (1864 - 1930) owner of the  Worden Lumber Co of Grand Rapids, Michigan in January, 1903, and the village post office name was changed to Bundy. The Worden Lumber Company, or Bundy Lumber Company as it was called, ran and maintained operations at the mill in Jeffris for many years. On December 1, 1906, Worden Lumber Company changed its name to The Bundy Lumber Company. Company officers were Clay C. Hollister and McGeorge Bundy (1855 - 1911). In April of 1913, the Bundy Lumber Company (formerly Worden Lumber) sold the mill and property to Ole Larson, and the Larson Lumber Company was formed.  Officers were: Ole Larson, Gust Nelson, Gust Person and Albert Larson. On April 26, 1915, the village name was again officially changed from Bundy to Jeffris. Mr. Larson kept the mill in operation for many years, but the supply of timber was rapidly depleting. In June, 1975, the village of Jeffris was officially changed to Bundy. By then, the echoes of the mill and the sounds of giant, old growth timber falling were long silent, and the loggers , along with their families, moved to follow the lumber mills farther north. The school house on the hill overlooking Pine Lake  was moved to Harrison and added to the Harrison school. Most of the houses on Red Row were dismantled for the lumber.
The Bundy Lumber Company was a historical mill in Wisconsin logging history. At the time, it was one of Wisconsin's largest lumber mills, and many of the local residents still have fond memories of the men who worked there. 


Prior to Oneida County's formation, Lincoln County stretched from just north of Wausau to the Michigan line. During those early years, the county lines were disputed many times, mostly by the citizens who preferred to go to one city over another to transact any county business. "Jeffris" or "Bundy", as some prefer, was a town located south of Rhinelander on Highway 63, now Highway 17, along Pine Lake. It is believed to have been pushed back and forth from Lincoln to Oneida County a few times, with some of the Bundy residents living on the Oneida County side and some living on the Lincoln County side. At times it was a night stop over for visitors to Rhinelander, or a fresh horse for the mail carrier. Squash Lake Road then went to Rhinelander. The town was composed of a red row and green row, identified by the colored tar paper; black tar paper did not stand the wind and rain as well. The less fortunate lived in the green row. All these had a fine-stone finish, congruent to the area resources. The railĀ­road line went to Tomahawk and back to Parrish Junction and Pelican Lake . D. K. Jeffris hired a man from Illinois to be post master of Jeffris, Charles Fralick.  Charles Fralick, born in Michigan, had been raised in an orphanage and college educated, after the death of his parents during a train wreck, when he was just a boy. Fralick, his British wife Maria (Brown), three daughters, Laura, Lottie, Nellie, and two sons, Edward and Ned, made the long trip to Bundy.

  Making a living had been difficult in northern Illinois and Fralick saw this as his chance to make his fortune in the great northern Wisconsin logging industry. The Fralicks came by train and stayed with Keglers until a company house could be assigned.  Besides being postmaster, Charles Fralick was the Harrison town clerk and storekeeper for several years. The mill men could charge at the company store until payday. It was common in early mill days that the owner of the mill owned the whole town, buildings and all, and at times even had their own money, to be used only in that mill town.  Fralick died in 1908,  a  decade after coming to Bundy. He was buried in the Forest Home Cemetery, Rhinelander, in what is now an unmarked grave.  Laura married Len Daugherty, a break man on the logging train. Nellie married George Kjell, moving back to Illinois, where she was born. Edward married Mary Barker. Ned also married a local Bundy girl. Lottie married a farmer, Philip Pond, in 1908, who lived just south of Parrish with his mother, Mary Pond, and bachelor brothers, Charles and Willis. Willis drove the stage from Dudley (north of Gleason) to Rhinelander for nine months of the year. Lottie and Philip had 10 children, Cora was married twice, first to a Robison and next to a Wickham. Nellie was married to a Jewel.

Information taken from "The Hodag Shopper"  Section 2, page 4, Sept, 1984.

This website designed by Doug Hurlbutt in cooperation with Gloria Rahlf. |
Photos provided by Gloria Rahlf and Bill Guolee.
Drop us an Email for any comments.


bb code
Electronics Clearance