1 January 1968 - 31 December 1968

Prepared by
1Lt George E. Dille


Phan Thiet, Republic of Vietnam
APO 96317

192 AHC Crest

The 192nd Assault Helicopter Company's crest (depicted above) was designed and drawn by Major Smith, then the Company XO, and Warrant Officer Tidey. It was conceived by Major Smith, who laid down the basic desired design, and then turned the final work over to Warrant Officer Tidey. The crest was completed and presented to Major Baker, the Company Commander, who approved it in early September of 1967.

All of the major items of the crest were chosen for a significant reason. The shield was chosen to represent our offensive as well as defensive capabilities. The "flying white horse" represented the unit's task upon arrival in Vietnam; the aerial support of the Republic of Korea's "White Horse" Division. The buttressed line dividing the top and bottom portions of the shield was selected for its heraldic portrayal of an embattlement. It was thought to be very appropriate to incorporate such a symbol into the crest since the unit was to leave for Vietnam in early October of 1967.

The colors used in the crest were also chosen for a symbolic meaning. The teal blue and gold are the colors of Army aviation. The black was chosen as it represented our night flying capabilities, the white for the "White Horse" Division.

The motto "WE BOW TO NONE" was selected to depict our stated ambition and professional competence to equal or surpass those who are "ABOVE THE BEST."

MISSION: The mission of the 192nd AHC is for direct support of the 3/506th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile), and general support for the Phan Thiet MACV, Bao Loc MACV, Dalat MACV, 53rd Regiment ARVN, Phan Rang MACV, 5/27 Artillery and the 44th ARVN Regiment, within the DSA II Corps. As the effectiveness of the Polecats and Tiger Sharks increase, more missions are added because of their professionalism in accomplishing the mission.

In 1968, the 192nd Assault Helicopter Company, Polecats and Tiger Sharks, flew 25,742 hours, carried 119,402 passengers, hauled 2,779 tons of cargo, medevaced over 250 troops, and had over 300 KBA and destroyed over 225 structures.

The 192nd AHC participated in the following operations:
McLainII, Banjo Royce, and Double Eagle I, II, III, IV.*

COMMAND AND CONTROL: The commander of the Polecats and Tiger Sharks as they arrived in Phan Thiet was Major Ronald L. Baker. On 10 April 1968 Major Charles W. Emrick assumed command of the 192nd AHC. Major Paul G. Stringer took control of the Lonesome Polecats from Major Emrick on 11 September 1968.


II Corps map

During 1968, the 192nd Assault Helicopter Company was operational in the areas surrounding Phan Thiet, Bao Loc, Dalat, Phan Rang, and Song Mao with occasional trips to Dong Ba Thin, Nha Trang, and Ban Me Thuot.

On 15 January, orders were received from the 17th Combat Aviation Group assigning the 192nd Assault Helicopter Company to the 10th Battalion. The Polecats and Tiger Sharks were promptly placed in direct support of the 3-506th Infantry, 1st Brigade, of the 101st Airborne Division, for Operation McLain II, to secure and hold operations at Phan Thiet. The 192nd AHC, originally assigned to the 268th CAB and located at Phu Hiep, moved all of its assets by organic aircraft and Navy LSTs to Phan Thiet beginning on l8 January. Even as the advanced party arrived, combat mission requests were received and honored. The building of billeting and operational areas became secondary to the maximum effort exerted in combat support operations.

The 192nd AHC spent most of February in the defense of Phan Thiet, which was under constant siege during the month. Savage fighting took place throughout the Phan Thiet area at times coming within less than 500 meters of the airfield. The Polecats and Tiger Sharks have averaged more than three combat assaults per day, to include night resupply. The first night that Phan Thiet airfield was mortared, a night hunter team was dispatched. The team was able to locate the enemy positions while the Airfield took 8 enemy rounds. Since then the airfield has never received more than eight rounds of mortar in any attack. On 25 February enemy mortars struck the ARVN ammo dump at Phan Thiet airfield and secondary explosions continued for over five hours, damaging twelve aircraft and injuring four personnel.

The 192nd AHC continued its support to the 3-506th Task Force at Phan Thiet, with the mission of supporting MACV units predominately in the Bao Loc area. Enemy activity slackened off from the previous month and assignments were directed in search and destroy missions. Requirements for night support remained high, particularly with hazardous patrol extractions conducted on the night of 13 and 21 March. In both instances, the eight to ten man patrols were receiving heavy fire from company sized enemy forces. Exceptionally well coordinated gunship and slick employment in conjunction with artillery and TAC air suppressive fires resulted in the successful extractions without injuries or incidents.

The 192nd AHC continued to support Task Force 3-506th Infantry and the 101st Airborne Division in the Phan Thiet area, as well as to provide general support to the II Corps Tactical Zone. On 8 April, a two company night assault was conducted in a suspected Viet Cong Headquarters area and 221 troops were helilifted into the mountainous area 45 kilometers northeast of Phan Thiet utilizing 13 UH-1H and 6 UH-1C helicopters. A total of 44 CAs of platoon size or larger units were conducted.

During the month (of May) the Polecats performed 56 combat assaults of platoon size or larger as the McLain AO was greatly expanded. The Tiger Sharks were kept busy this month, as they met and routed the enemy on numerous occasions. On 4 May the Polecats and Tiger Sharks teamed up to extract a LRRP team in heavy contact with a large enemy force. The valorous actions of the crew during the successful extraction were praised by the ground personnel.

During the month (of May) the 192nd AHC flew 2,375 hours, lifted 21,193 passengers and hauled 263 tons of cargo. The Tiger Sharks expended 478,900 rounds of 7.62 mm, 2,384 rounds of 2.75 rocket, 5,337 rounds of 40mm grenades and sent a large number of enemy to their final resting place.

On 8 June the majority of the company moved to Dalat in support of Operation Banjo Royce. Numerous combat assaults were conducted on June 14. At 1730 hours a Tiger Shark light fire team was called in to support friendly troops in contact with a company sized Viet Cong element. On the 23 June the Polecats and Tiger Sharks returned to Phan Thiet and proceeded to give the VC hell in their own back yard.

All gunships were centered around the support of Task Force 3-506th Infantry and Task Force South in the Phan Thiet area. In addition to this direct support role the 192nd AHC provided general aviation support to DSA II Corps, and IFFV Artillery. On 2 July the Tiger Sharks were scrambled on three different occasions to suppress enemy sniper fire and to search a suspected enemy base camp. A combat assault was flown on 6 July in response to a VC ambush in which the Senior Advisors of Song Mao were reported involved. On 8 July the Tiger Sharks put in a strike on enemy personnel in support of a recon patrol. On 11 July the 192nd AHC supplemented by four slicks from the 92nd AHC and four CH-47s from the 243rd ASHC conducted a series of combat assaults into an area north of Luong Song with 500 troops. The Tiger Sharks were scrambled on 17 July at 0905 hours to give fire support to the 2nd Battalion, 44th ARVN Regiment who reported that they were in heavy contact with an estimated battalion size enemy force. Results of the action were unknown as the VC pulled their normal disappearing act.

In addition to the usual one or two CAs a day, there was a marked increase in LRRP operations, frequently necessitating night extractions. Nights in Phan Thiet were active for other reasons as well. The airfield came under mortar and rocket attacks on the 10th, 12th, 21st, and 23rd of August. The attack, with 40mm mortar and rocket rounds during the night of the 21st caused minor damage. On the 25th the Polecats lifted two battalions in support of an offensive against a VC stronghold west of the city. In spite of the inherent demands of the increased actions, the 192nd AHC was able to improve its aircraft availability to an above average as well as achieve a commendable 70 days, over 6000 hours, without an accident.

Primarily the support for the 3-506th Infantry was concerned with LRRP operations as no major actions were realized. Sniffer missions (APD) were flown frequently and were extremely successful. The IG team came and went in with the unit turning in a fine effort. Over 90 days and 8000 hours were realized without a major accident.

The month of October saw light action in the unit's area of operation. On 11 October, elements from the 3-506th and 4/44th ARVN were airlifted to secure a terrain feature for a fire base. After completion of the FSB units of the 3-506th were lifted into company size AOs. The 4/44th ARVN was then lifted in to complete the joint US ARVN operation. 1,993 hours, 5,618 sorties, 2,833 tasks, and 14 medevacs were flown, and 8,443 troops were lifted. Three unit aircraft sustained hits, while one UH-1D and one UH-1H were lost. Operations were severely limited from 27 to 31 October by fuel contamination found in some of the aircraft.

The majority of the missions were flown for Phan Thiet MACV, 5-27th Artillery, 44th Infantry and the 53rd Regiment. On 21 November, an Eagle Flight of four ships successfully inserted a B-36 element to secure a 7-17th Cavalry LOH that had been shot down. The 192nd's fast reaction time was instrumental in the success of the mission.

On December 4, the 192nd AHC moved a total of 1,362 US and ARVN troops from the 44th and 3-506th by the Polecats. The operation was north northwest of Song Mao. Insertions were lifted in for two days. From that location the troops were picked up and inserted into the mountains west of Song Mao. On the 23rd of December 1,079 US and ARVN troops were moved by slicks of the 192nd AHC to a new AO, where fire base Andell was opened.

Equipment and Installations

Improvement of the company has continually been made in spite of the heavy tactical commitments placed upon the 192nd Assault Helicopter Company throughout the year. Upon their arrival at Phan Thiet the 192nd AHC found a rugged wind blown area which was to become their base camp. Bending to the tremendous task awaiting them the 192nd quickly set up a temporary working and living area consisting of tents. Defensive positions were practically non-existent and the 192nd quickly set to work to provide the necessary protection as the area was under almost constant attack. At the end of the year 1968 the 192nd AHC can boast of a very well defended area, and of permanent type buildings which are almost complete. These achievements are a credit to the many hours of hard work exerted by the men of the 192nd Assault Helicopter Company.


The following awards were presented to the men of the 192nd Assault Helicopter Company during the year.

Distinguished Flying Cross Cpt. FLOYD E. EDWARDS

Distinguished Flying Cross WO-1 RICHARD M. ARANN

Bronze Star Maj. BRUCE A. THOMAS

Bronze Star Cpt. KARL B. HILL

Bronze Star Cpt. HARRY E. JONES

Bronze Star Cpt. LARRY D. MARTIN

Bronze Star Sgt. DAVID A. STEWART

Additional awards were: one Soldiers Medal, eight Army Commendation Medals, fifteen Purple Hearts, and one hundred and eighty-one Air Medals.

To those men who made the supreme sacrifice while fighting for the freedom of their country, we dedicate this supplement of the Unit History.





All of the above text was written in 1968 and 1969. It was transcribed to electronic form in September, 1998, by Bill Bauer. A few minor spelling errors were corrected and the formatting has been modified slightly, but it is as accurate as possible.

The webmaster expresses his gratitude to George Dille for his original writings and Bill Bauer for all the work that went into preserving our history.