HISTORY OF THE CHURCH
Church has begun its
second century as a house of Worship and Christian Mission. This Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was built in 1899 on land donated by Alfred and Henry Algood, sons of a Methodist Circuit
In England in the
late 1730's John Wesley had taken a simple message of hope to people wherever
he found them. He told them they were
equal and important in the sight of God and that their belief in the Lord Jesus
Christ would bring salvation. This
simple message, the basic belief of Methodists, is what the Circuit Riders
brought to this area.
Church was the first
built in Algood. Its position on Main Street made it a focal point for the community. It became a center for religious and
community activities. In the early
years, other denominations were invited to use the church for their own
worship. An early expansion of the
church involved moving and attaching a former public school building to the
back of the sanctuary. This is the
Fellowship Hall. The architecture of
this church is carpenter gothic, a style widely used at the turn of the
century. It is reminiscent of the small
stone Episcopal Churches in rural England.
In 1909 a tornado did extensive damage to the building.
The restoration included moving the tower to the right side of the
building. A bell, still in use, and the stained glass window were
installed following the restoration.
The church building was listed on the National Register of Historic
Places in 1979. A determining factor was
maintenance of its architectural integrity.
The Perry Parker Education was dedicated in 1983.
This church marked its centennial year by
several special events, including worship led by Bishop Kenneth Carder. On May 23, the one-hundredth anniversary, Dr.
Charles Vance Johnson, several former pastors, and the choir led a great
celebratory worship service followed by dinner "on the grounds" for
over 300 people. Other events included
publication of a church history book, "The First 100 Years" and a
centennial church cookbook.
Algood United Methodist Church
Photos Provided by Marshall Judd and Scanned by Paul